New Members - What is a word that you have learned recently?

This is a topic designed for New Members.

Just add a comment below with a Chinese word that you learned recently. 

Examples:

"I just had my first class so we learned Ni Hao, hello" or "I listened to a Chinese podcast a few days where I learned Robot 机器人 jī qì rén"

You can use pinyin or characters, whichever is better for your level. If you want to look up the word to make sure you have it right you can use www.dianhuadictionary.com

So what is a word that have you learned recently?

Views: 4863

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

說曹操,曹操就到  - 'speak of the devil'. I learnt (how to say this rather than the actual characters) this from watching this funny but educational youtube clip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg_nL6q51nM

I JUST LOVE THAT IDIOM!!!

I learned several new 汉字 with Rosetta Stone. Im almost done with Level 2 about to begin Level three and i learned the word for shorts or 短裤(duan ku)

In Beijing right now and I could sure use a pair of 短裤(duan ku) - good word man!

Hey!

I just learned the word mian4dui4 面对 meaning "to face" or "to confront" something. It makes quite sense right when thinking about the two words it contains - the word for face and the word for opposite.

Gotta love the Chinese way of putting words together :-)

Hello,

In my first Chinese class I took online, the teacher asked us a few things we wanted to learn before going into the basic phrases like hello, goodbye, thank you, etc... As a beer enthusiast I thought that would be a great word to know. Draft beer = Zhā pí jiǔ. :)

I learned the Chinese for the planets in the solar system. 

水星 - shuǐ xīng - Mercury - "Water star"

金星 - jīn xīng - Venus - "Gold star" (or metal star)

地球 - dì qiú - Earth - "Dirt ball" (ok maybe "earth ball")

火星 - huǒ xīng - Mars - "Fire star"

木星 - Mù xīng - Jupiter - "Wood star"

土星 - Tǔ xīng - Saturn - "Earth star"

These are all the five "visible" planets from ancient times (plus earth), and notice they are named after the Chinese "elements" of fire, wood, earth, metal, water.

海王星 - Hǎi wáng xīng - Neptune - "Sea King Star"

天王星 - Tiān wáng xīng - Uranus - "Heaven King (God) Star"

冥王星 - Míng wáng xīng - Pluto - “Underworld King (Kind of Hell) Star”

The last three seem to be about heaven, hell and maybe some kind of middle ground.

Pretty cool, eh?  Apart from 冥 these are all pretty common characters.

That's awesome Tyson!  The names make a lot of sense and are really easy to remember.  Coincidentally, my 5 year old is obsessed with the planets - I had to hang a model solar system over his bed.  So this is coming at the ideal time for both of us!  Thanks for posting these.

that is cool! I am more specifically interested in scientific Chinese...being i am a scientist. Thanks for the new words!

Just started learning today, but I've already found one word I probably wont ever forget, mostly because of how much sense it makes: 猫 māo cat

Hey there, well, I wanted to learn Mandarin since long time ago, tomorrow I'll start my first class at school and just have been listening Pimsleur Mandarin for 2 weeks so, I'll be here for sure....

I have just learn t the question "what"? Shénme. I write it as shir-ma because I cannot yet correctly pronounce pinyin! :)

RSS

Recommended Resource

Certified Online Chinese Teacher

Recommended Live Chinese Class

Mandarin tutor on skype

mandarin tutor on skype

Popular School in China

Try I Love Learning Chinese

Sponsored Links

© 2019   Learn Chinese Online at Study More Chinese, created by Brandon. Contact us for links & advertising.

StudyMoreChinese on Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Google Plus  |  LinkedIN   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service