New Members - What was one of your first real life usages of Chinese?

This is a topic designed for New Members.

Just add a comment below about when you first started using Chinese in "real life" meaning outside of the classroom. Was it in a restaurant or taxi? Or talking with a practice partner on skype? 

Examples:

"The first time I used Chinese was when I was at a consulate for my visa and was able to drop a few 'dui dui' in the conversation."

"I was at a restaurant and able to tell my friends which dishes were chicken 肌肉 and which were beef 牛肉. "

You can answer in English, pinyin or characters, whichever is better for your level.

So when did you first use Chinese in real life?

Views: 308

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Trying to take the taxi home from my university in Beijing to 东四十条. Every day I sat down and tried to say it in Chinese and because my tones were messed up, the driver would not understand and I had to get out the little piece of paper where my friend had written the address in Chinese characters.

After three weeks when I got into the taxi and tried saying it again, the driver suddenly just started driving without asking. He had understood! One of the best moments of my life.

在父母城市 , 遇到看起来年龄跟我一样的中国人 , 告诉他们我怎么喜欢学习中文 =D

The first "real life" situation where I have used Chinese is at a Chinese Bible study held at the house of a friend from church. Although many of the attendees spoke English as well, I was able to practice my listening, reading, and writing quite a bit:)!
First-time use that I remember would be at a local restaurant。 麻烦你给我水. was how I tried to respond to what would I like to drink.

RSS

Recommended Resource

Certified Online Chinese Teacher

Recommended Live Chinese Class

Mandarin Tutor on Skype

mandarin tutor on skype

Popular School in China

Try I Love Learning Chinese

Sponsored Links

Get daily Chinese learning updates