Hello everyone,

this will be my first post on this forum and I hope you all can help me with Mandarin Chinese in the future.

The pronouns are then

我- I

你- you(casual)

您- you(polite)

- he

- she

它 - it

adding to these make the pronuns plural

我们 - we

你们 - you ( plural casual)

您们 - you ( plural polite)

他们 - they (all  are men)

她们 - they (all are women)

它们 - they (all animals/objects)

I wonder, since third person singular is always pronunced "tā", the only way to knowit the person meant he, she or it, is by the character. Also, is it possible to express neutral plural i.e. no sex of person mentioned, in Chinese? What are the social rules of the use of pronouns in different situations?

Thank you in advance.

Views: 132

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, F
Whether it's possible to express neutral plural or not...I'm not sure this could be a problem in spoken Chinese because of  the same pronunciations "" and "tā mén", or if you can judge the mentioned person's gender according to certain hints in a certain situation.These hints might involves: 1. Name, like English ones "Anna" "Antonia"(female) and "Adam" "Abraham" (male); 2. Voice (if possible); 3. A short description about that person from someone or the Web.

I think people in your country have different ways of knowing how to deal with your question properly and similarly you would get some clues from that.

In addition, this pronun "他们" can be used to refer to not only two or more men but a mixed group of men and women.

I think people have different ways of knowing how to deal with your question properly if it happens in your country*

RSS

Recommended Resource

Certified Online Chinese Teacher

Recommended Live Chinese Class

Mandarin Tutor on Skype

mandarin tutor on skype

Popular School in China

Next gen tech for dominating HSK prep

Sponsored Links

Get daily Chinese learning updates

© 2017   Learn Chinese Online at Study More Chinese, created by Brandon. Contact us for links & advertising.

StudyMoreChinese on Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Google Plus  |  LinkedIN   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service